The Library welcomes suggestions for titles to add to our collection. We have created these guidelines to answer some frequently asked questions from local or self-published authors.
- All materials added to the collection must meet the selection criteria in our Collection Development Policy.
- Our primary goal is to add materials that will appeal to a broad audience or have local significance.
- A positive review in a major review journal (such as Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, or Library Journal) is the best way to bring a title to our attention. We do not consider paid reviews or Amazon reviews. Availability to purchase the book from a library vendor (such as Baker & Taylor or Ingram) will significantly increase the likelihood that we will add it to the collection.
- Due to time constraints and the volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to meet with individual authors, or to notify authors of our decision. If we add your book to the collection, it will appear in our library catalog within two months.
- If you wish to bring a book to our attention, you can send information via email to email@example.com. Please include:
- Information about the book – title, author, ISBN, publisher, publish date, distributor.
- Links to any professional reviews or news coverage.
- A brief description of the book and its intended audience.
You can also send this information by mail to:
Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library
ATTN: Local Authors, MSA Dept.
800 Vine St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
If you are a current resident of Hamilton County, you may donate one copy of your book to the Library. All donations become the property of the Library. We will review the book and, if it meets our selection criteria, we will add it to the collection. If you choose to donate a book, please fill out and include the New Book Donation Form, and either mail it to the above address or drop it off at one of our library locations.
Donations not added cannot be returned to the donor, but will be sent to the Friends of the Public Library to sell at their book sales, in accordance with the Gifts section of the Collection Development Policy.