Library service to Mt. Healthy began in 1899, when a deposit station opened in Dr. Abbott’s Drug Store. Several years later, the library moved into a building on Compton Road which also housed a candy store. In 1928, a full-scale branch library opened on Hamilton Avenue. In 1951, the branch was moved to the floor below the Masonic Lodge. Ten years later, additional space was added to the branch when it expanded into an adjoining storeroom.