Written by Joe Armstrong, Content Specialist, Downtown Main Library
If you haven't gotten your Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library card, you're missing out on big benefits - and savings!
A CHPL library card not only lets you borrow from one of the largest collections of books, audiobooks, movies, and music, but gets you free access to local cultural attractions, telescopes, databases, digital resources, and so much more.
A library card is free if you're a resident of the State of Ohio, a property owner in Hamilton County, a temporary/transitional resident of Hamilton County, or a resident of Boone, Campbell, and Kenton counties in Kentucky Sign up for your free Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library card online or by visiting any library location.
Check out seven of our favorite things you can get with a CHPL library card:
1. Discovery Passes
Cincinnati is home to many renowned cultural and recreational institutions. CHPL's Discovery Pass provides Library cardholders with free passes to arts, cultural, and recreational attractions throughout Hamilton County. Library cardholders may check out passes to:
- American Sign Museum
- Cincinnati Art Museum Special Exhibitions
- Cincinnati Museum Center
- Great Parks of Hamilton County
- The Harriet Beecher Stowe House
- Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park & Museum
- Taft Museum of Art
Checking out a pass is easy! All you need is a Library card in good standing. Use the online reservation system to view which passes are available and to reserve a pass. Please note passes are available once every 30 days per customer.
2. eBooks, Audiobooks, and Digital Magazines
Whether you're on a computer, mobile device, or even a TV, a CHPL library card lets you enjoy eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, and more. Here are just some of the resources available for free with your library card - check them all out on our Stream and Download webpage:
- Libby: Our most popular app! Check out thousands of eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, and read-along books.
- Kanopy: Stream more than 3,000 free movies, classics, documentaries, and educational videos.
- Freegal: Stream or download more than 18 million songs. Download unlimited songs or albums to your device to keep!
- Hoopla: Films, TV shows, books, comics, and music are available to stream online or download to the app, with no waiting lists.
4. Digital Newspapers
Researching older news? View older editions and historic newspapers.
To expand access to STEM-related learning tools and materials, the Library has partnered with Dean Regas and the Cincinnati Observatory to circulate 10 Orion StarBlast 4.5-inch astronomical telescopes for use by library cardholders.
6. Laptops and Computers
Computers are available to reserve across CHPL's 41 neighborhood branches. To reserve a computer, simply ask any Library staff!
Select library branches provide freestanding laptop-dispensing kiosks. Library cardholders may borrow one laptop at a time for two hours of use in the Library building.
7. Databases and Online Resources
Access hundreds of powerful databases and online resources using a CHPL library card.