Written by Staci Dennison, Chief Development Officer and the Thomas W. Jones Executive Director of The Library Foundation, Downtown Main Library
In a year where "human connection" is a term that may be reminiscent of a bygone era, it's also something that our library continues to provide in meaningful ways each and every day.
Equitable access. Help and resources. Connection to ideas and each other. Our library and staff remain steadfast and dedicated to public service to our community, and to you.
Did you know that, beginning in March, our library continued its service to our community by:
- Serving more than 101,000 meals to youth.
- Offering free wireless internet access 24/7 outside of all library locations, including parking lots, to more than 700 residents a day.
- Helping over 100,000 customers through phone, email, and online chat.
- Providing free access over 4 million times to electronic resources, including Morningstar, Ancestry.com, and Brainfuse HelpNow.
- Delivering more than 100,000+ contactless holds for books, movies, and music.
- Sharing more than 2.5 million downloadable eBooks, songs, and streaming movies.
- Assisting community members with over 4,000 faxes and 6,000 scans to Hamilton County Jobs & Family Services.
- Administering more than 1,000+ free COVID-19 tests since September, in partnership with The Health Collaborative and UC Health.
Since 2004, The Library Foundation has supported initiatives to expand access to technology, increase basic needs support to children and families, and connect the community. In 2020 we’ve provided funding to support:
- More than 37,000 kids, teens and families with the Library’s summer learning program.
- Over 8,900+ kids in 25 locations with homework support (pre-COVID).
- A Zoom account for library staff to connect to the community.
A laptop cart, in partnership with the FC Cincinnati Foundation, for the West End Branch Library.
- And much, much more.
This Giving Tuesday, please help The Library Foundation bridge the gap from what is to what can be for our community by providing a monetary gift during the season of giving!