The Price Hill Branch Library has reopened to the public as of April 12, 2021.
About the renovated and expanded space:
- Additional 6,793 square feet of indoor space, increasing to over 12,000 square feet of useable space
- Accessible to wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers
- Designated quiet areas
- Re-envisioned spaces for adults, teens, kids including three study rooms, four meeting rooms, and a meeting space accommodating up to 100 people
- Bilingual approach, including signage in Spanish
- Increased parking
- Flexibility to meet future community needs
Thank you to the Cincinnati Recreation Commission who generously allowed us to continue serving customers from their building during this project.
Grand Opening Video
After several community feedback sessions in Price Hill – including sharing the design concepts, FTC&H, the architectural firm hired to do the project, finalized the design for the branch. Initial bidding from contractors was over budget, and the project went to re-bid.
- New Main Entrance, opens a new window
- View from Purcell, opens a new window
- View from Warsaw, opens a new window
- First floor layout, opens a new window
- Second floor layout, opens a new window
The project re-bid construction documents have been advertised online and with the Cincinnati Enquirer on 12/13/19 and 12/16/19 asking for contractors to begin reviewing, estimating the cost to construct the building and assemble their official bids to submit to the Library for consideration. The project required a re-bid since the initial contractor bids, submitted by interested contractors on 11/19/19, exceeded the allowable bid threshold set by Ohio Revised Code for public bidding. The allowable threshold is 10% of the total advertised construction cost estimate. The initial bid came in 22% over the advertised estimate. The Library had to disqualify the bids to comply with the Ohio Revised Code.
As a result of the overbidding and after a careful review of the project plans, the Library Board of Trustees increased the overall project budget to $7.3 million dollars at their December 10, 2019 meeting. The construction market at that time was very competitive as a result of greater demand than available suppliers and workforce. In addition, the cost of materials was higher than in the past several years. This project was a priority given that the current facility is not accessible or operational.
The re-bid from interested contractors were opened and read aloud on January 15th, 2020.
The Library, in conjunction with its construction management team, qualified each bid submitted and awarded contracts to the lowest responsible contractor for each of the nine Trade contracts that were advertised in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code.