Burning, cutting, and etching on a variety of materials — including wood, acrylic, and glass — can all be done using our popular laser engraver.
For engraving or etching, any type of printable file works. Power (depth) and speed settings can be adjusted to your tastes so you can engrave deep into a material or barely scratch the surface. Lighter woods work best for engraving as they provide a good contrast between original wood and burn. Pictures don’t work well on glass, but letters and logos are a great choice. A rotary tool is available for projects involving etching and engraving on objects such as bottles.
Our laser cutter/engraver is a Full Spectrum P series 24 x 18 model. Maximum size of materials is 24 x 16 x 8 inches.
What You'll Need
Use of the laser cutter and engraver is free. If you bring your own material to cut or engrave you must provide a receipt or tag that states what the item is made of. Material approval is up to the discretion of the MakerSpace staff. It is highly recommended that you bring extra material for testing. We have acrylic and wood plaques available for purchase. A staff member is required to prepare the machine for you.
Materials Available for Purchase
- Acrylic: $6 per sheet (each sheet is 12 x 12 inches)
- Wood: $1.50 per sheet (each sheet is 5 x 7 inches)
Approved materials include:
MakerSpace does not engrave or cut:
- Customers are permitted one 120-minute session per day. Extra time may be granted (at the discretion of staff) if no one is waiting.
- If your project runs over your time limit, we continue to let it run until completion or until the next appointment arrives and is ready to use the machine (whichever occurs first).
- Projects are stopped at closing.
- There is a 10-minute grace period before reservations are automatically cancelled.
- Reservations can be made up to six weeks in advance.
- Book ahead! The laser engraver is extremely popular. Typical wait times average four to five weeks.
Don’t have a reservation? Ask a staff member in the MakerSpace to add your name to the standby list. If an appointment is missed or extra time is available at the end of another customer’s session, you may be able to use the machine. The standby list is only available in person. You must be present if/when availability opens up.